My Thoughts on Pixar's Coco

Hola Amigos!

Yesterday, I had the great pleasure of FINALLY going to the cinema with my BDFF (that's my Best Disney Friend Forever) and watching Disney, Pixar's Coco!

I was hoping to see Coco during the weekend of it's UK release but I was busy packing for my upcoming Disneyland trip - priorities!

I'm going to try and share my thoughts on the movie in as much detail as possible but without giving away too much of the plot... not an easy task!

Enjoy! And if you have also been lucky enough to see Coco, let me know your thoughts in the comments section below.


Mercedes

Photo Credit: NY Times



Día Des Meurtos

The Day of the Dead (SpanishDía de Muertos) is a Mexican holiday celebrated throughout Mexico, in particular the Central and South regions, and by people of Mexican ancestry living in other places, especially the United States. It is acknowledged internationally in many other cultures. The multi-day holiday focuses on gatherings of family and friends to pray for and remember friends and family members who have died, and help support their spiritual journey.

Source: Wikipedia

If you're thinking...
'Thanks for the History lesson Mercedes but really, what was that all about?'
I can tell you that you just had your first introduction to the plot of Coco...


Coco is plain and simply a story about a little Mexican boy named Miguel and his adventure during Día Des Meurtos.

That was all I knew about the plot before entering the cinema and to be honest with you, I really didn't know that much about Día Des Meurtos either, despite my Spanish heritage! 

In fact, the only education I have had on The Mexican celebration was an old Lizzie McGuire episode in which Miranda Sanchez (Lizzie's Best Friend) and her family openly celebrate the holiday...

Oh and Sugar Skulls. We all love a Sugar Skull...


Lizzie's Pal Miranda gave me my first introducton to The Day of The Dead
Photo Credit: Jane Austen Runs My Life Blog

To my surprise, The Day of The Dead, something pretty morbid sounding in name, is actually a very positive, family orientated tradition and I believe that Pixar's Coco successfully portrays this through use of soulful characters and a thought provoking plot.

I cried during this movie... a lot. Without getting too personal, certain characters, including Mama Coco, made me think a lot about loved ones passed and older relatives of my family. I felt a little guilty also. I too, like Miguel, am constantly on full speed - between work and hobbies and taking time for myself, it can be difficult to remember to make time for your family and I believe that Coco conveys this message in a liberating and compassionate manner.

I mean, the title itself: Coco. What does that mean to you? I actually didn't think about the movie's namesake too much until after it was over. I mean, if you look at Pixar's track record... Up, Inside Out - often their Movie's titles can be a little obscure but pretty self explanatory at the same time.

So where did Coco come from? The eagle eyes amongst you may have already spotted a connection to the name earlier on in this post...

It's a dedication. A beautiful dedication and one that isn't painstakingly obvious. Good job Pixar.

As far as animation goes, The Land of The Dead is visually stunning. I think I gasped. I read somewhere that something crazy like 4 Million Lights were created by the brilliant animator's at Pixar to ensure that The Land of The Dead felt... ALIVE. And they succeeded for sure. Any animation fan will surely appreciate this moment like no other.

The Land of The Dead
Photo Credit: NY Times
Finally, I want to talk about the plot's clever narrative. I said at the beginning of this post that I wouldn't spoil the story, and I shan't however, what I will say is that I was satisfied with the amount of twists and turns and unpredictability within the storyline.

Having said this, I do feel that Disney are becoming a little reliant on the whole 'villain' twist: it was clever in Frozen, unexpected in Wreck It Ralph but after Big Hero 6, Zootopia and Moana...

Come on guys, it's getting a little repetitive! Bring back the brooding Disney Villain's in their capes, glamour and glory!

I said previously in My Disney Controversial Opinions that Pixar and I were done and that Coco would be make or break for our relationship...


Luckily, Pixar you did it - you have totally restored my faith in the studio!

It's 10 sugar skulls from me! I absolutely loved this movie and cannot recommend it enough.

Get your tickets now!