Happy 90th Birthday Mickey!

Unless you've been living under a rock, you have probably noticed over the last few weeks that there has been a lot of celebration for one particular mouse...

That's right. On Sunday 18th November, Mickey Mouse celebrated his 90th Birthday!



Of course I needed to celebrate the occasion, so I ventured into the capital with my Mum and Sister in tow, and we visited a wonderful little pop up art exhibit at The Black and White Building in trendy Shoreditch; the theme of the exhibit? Why Mickey of course...


Disney had organised the exhibit, and the artists exhibiting used a range of different techniques to capture Mickey in action; it was really refreshing to see such a diverse display of pieces, all effectively conveying the lifecycle and evolution of one of pop culture's most recognisable characters.

One of the seven original posters available for purchase via auction
In addition to the bespoke works that were being displayed, there was also an auction room with some original, vintage posters available. 

If I had £40,000 to spare, I most definitely would have picked up a few...



And, amongst all of the wonderful Mickey pieces, there was also one dedicated to the man behind the mouse; a gorgeous, hand-drawn sketch that I particularly liked as I felt that it really paid homage to the art form that made Walt such a success in the first place!


I'm not usually the 'art gallery' type (despite my last office being literally, inside a gallery) preferring stately homes and museums when needing a little culture! But the accessibility of the subject matter on showcase here, made for a really enjoyable afternoon and who knows, perhaps this won't be my last gallery visit...

Happy Birthday Mickey.

- Mercedes