OUAT: Season 5 Finale

Image from ABC

Before I start this post I feel that I need to disclose my feelings on Once Upon A Time as a whole since this is the first time I have written about the show on my blog. I should also warn you now that this post will contain spoilers!

Let me start by saying that I absolutely love OUAT; it is without a doubt my favourite TV show, potentially of all time... wait, we're not including Seasons 4 and 5, are we? We are?! Well then, let me start over. OUAT is a DISASTER. What have they done to this series? It had so much potential. Ever since Elsa stepped onto our screens at the end of Season 3, out of the corrupted portal cast by Zelena (The Wicked Witch), the show, in my opinion, has been on a slippery slope down hill.

However, that said, it seems that the Season 5 Finale has restored in me a little faith and has provided me with a slight glimmer of hope that maybe, we're back on the climb up to success. Here's why...

As first and foremost a Disney fan, you might be surprised to discover that my love of literature means that I am very accepting of traditional, non-Disney characters making an appearance in Storybrooke; the recent additions of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde plus, the characters from The Land of Untold Stories have made me super excited for the next Season and I believe, will make for a fabulous addition to Season 6. I'm already planning who I want to see featured; maybe some characters from Disneyland attractions? That would be cool! I'm thinking Pirates of The Caribbean, The Haunted Mansion... maybe even the dolls from It's A Small World... nah, that would just be creepy!

Oh and ABC, in case you haven't heard, I am still waiting for a Princess Jasmine to feature in OUAT! I believe that she, along with Tiana and Pocahontas, are the only Disney Princesses yet to debut so please make this happen and you'd better do her justice!


I am also incredibly excited about the prospect of The Evil Queen returning to the show; clearly the writers are done with featuring Regina's past through Enchanted Forest flashback scenes (how much backstory can one character have!) so now, it seems that they have created, what unashamedly feels like a very weak plot device, in order to feature some more of my favourite character's wrongdoing in the show once again. To be honest, the whole 'splitting' of the dark side and the light doesn't bother me too much; whilst it's very cliché and predictable, I'm just glad that The Evil Queen has returned. Besides, that whole dark vs light, has always appealed to me - #StarWars anyone?

Overall, I do have a little more optimism that Season 6 will redeem the series; I have been dying for the show to do something 'clever' once again... you know, like Cora secretly being The Queen of Hearts and Peter Pan being Rumplestiltskin's father... and speaking of Rumple, who knew that he'd be revealed as Belle's Beast and the infamous Crocodile that Hook so desperately seeks to defeat! Clever stuff like that! And maybe, just maybe, Mr Hyde will give it to us...

What do you think? Do you agree with me? Do you think OUAT needs saving from Seasons 4 and 5 and who do you want to see featured in Season 6?

Let me know in the comments below.

- MercedesLois