My favourite Disney Princesses… revisited!

Hey!

If you have been a follower of the My Disney Blog for a while, you may remember my original Top 5 Disney Princess post a little while back.

As a pretty opinionated, but easily influenced person, my favourite things can often be quite interchangeable, so I really wanted to go back and revisit this post to examine my favourite Disney Princesses right now, and see if they’re the same as before!




The list is mostly unchanged...

Previous Favourites:

1. Princess Jasmine
2. Belle
3. Pocahontas
4. Princess Aurora
5. Merida

Current Favourites:

1. Princess Jasmine
2. Belle
3. Princess Aurora
4. Elsa
5. Pocahontas

Obviously the list has shuffled around a little, but the real big change is the removal of Merida and the addition of our very own Snow Queen, Elsa. I suppose technically both Elsa and her little sister Anna are not included in the official Disney Princess line-up, as Frozen is very much considered it’s own franchise but, for the purposes of this list, I wanted to include them regardless.

So... Queen Elsa. 

What is it about her that I really like? And why has she replaced Merida in my Top 5?





I guess there's quite a few things really...

First of all, I love Frozen. I'm probably one of the few people I know that is genuinely very excited about the upcoming Frozen 2 movie, released later on this year. If you listened to the Revival Episode of ChatDisney last week, you'll know exactly why I love the movie!

In summary, I guess it's that the amazing characters and songs, blended with the incredible vocal stylings of Idina Menzel, just make this an all time favourite! It's a classic and pure class. On a side note, Idina Menzel is definitely one of my favourite Broadway stars of all time, so the fact that she voices Elsa has a very special and dear place in my heart.

I also love that Elsa has powers – she's literally magic! No wonder little boys and girls all over the globe adore her! She is the first Disney heroine to present sorcery (unless we include The Black Cauldron's Hen Wen... but I mean, she's literally a pig with no voice!) which makes Elsa very special indeed. This etherial element, that Elsa is also frightened to explore, makes not only for an interesting movie, but an inspiring, brave and complex character.

Elsa is also fiercely independent. Famously lecturing her little Sister Anna that 'you cannot marry a man you've just met', Elsa is finally the straight-talking, sensible voice that the Disney Princess line-up has been waiting for! This movie is aware of the patriarchal messages that have gone before, and acknowledges them by challenging them in a sophisticated and subtle way that only Disney can pull off...

Now, I know that you could argue that Pixar's Merida from Brave also does this, and that is of course one of the reasons why she appeared on my list a while back, but I feel that of the two, Elsa has the edge – and for me, it's definitely the notion of sisterhood presented in this film that makes me adore her character.


I absolutely love the pureness of the love between Anna and Elsa. Displayed as the main plot device of the first film, this  is even more evident in recent shorts including Frozen Fever and Olaf's Frozen Adventure. If truth be told, it reminds me a lot of the relationship between myself and my little Sister, and the parallels only solidify Elsa's place on this list.

So there you have it! That's my updated list of favourite Disney Princesses for you all – with new edition Elsa overtaking the competition.

Who are some of your favourite Disney Princesses and why? I'd love to hear from you. You can comment below or message me on Twitter.

– Mercedes