My Thoughts: Disney's Zootropolis

So I'll keep this short and sweet in order to avoid spoilers as best I can. First of all, I absolutely LOVED Zootropolis. Clearly the clever word play of 'Zootopia' is lost with the new UK title however, the sentiment is still there.

The plot revolves around our female protagonist, a bunny named Judy Hopps (Ginnifer Goodwin) who, despite her cute and fluffy exterior is determined to become a part of Zootropolis' next generation of police officers. However, Judy gets caught up along the way in the scheming antics of the cunning fox, Nick Wilde (Jason Bateman) and the duo go on an 'tailspin' adventure to uncover the biggest scandal in Zootropolis history.





I have to admit, I had my reservations about this movie but was pleasantly surprised... very much so. The messaging that the plot portrays cleverly explores the themes of minorities, particularly within large cities, and the discrimination that they often face due to being different. Big themes for a Children's movie to tackle? Yes. But by cleverly separating the species against species and 'prey' mammals against predators, the messaging just works! I personally believe that the movie has a lot to say on the topics of racial discrimination and feminism just to name a few themes. Or perhaps I have read WAY too much into this animated kid's movie!

I highly recommend this movie to any families or just plain old fans of animated movies, it's certainly not to be missed! I am sure that after coming away from the cinema, there will be lots of things to discuss with your children about our society today. It's very topical and poignant and in my opinion, a much needed movie for the next generation of Disney fans.

Have you seen Zootropolis yet? Do you agree with me? Let me know what you thought in the comments.

- mercedeslois