Zootropolis?

By happy coincidence, my other half (who for the record, does not like Disney) is away the week of Zootopia's UK release so I was just planning on purchasing my cinema ticket for one when I noticed something peculiar on the Odeon website... Zootopia was not an option? However, there were plenty of showings for Zootropolis?



Yes, over here in the UK, the movie will now be known as Zootropolis. Now before I start ranting, I am well aware that this is not the first time that Disney have changed a film title for international audiences; my many trips to Disneyland Paris over the years have taught me to expect this with titles such as Raiponce and La Reine des Neiges to name but a couple of French titles. HOWEVER (and it's a big however) I am pretty sure that this is the first time in Disney's 'animated' history that they have renamed a movie for an overseas, English speaking country? Well, unless you count Basil but we shan't...

I have been referring to this movie as Zootopia for well over a year and will continue to do so as the change just does not make any sense to me?

A Disney official has been quoted as saying "In the UK we decided to change the title to Zootropolis to merely allow the film to have a unique title that works for UK audiences." Okay? But why haven't you reworked all of your previous movie titles in that case Disney? I wonder if this is perhaps due to a legality? Maybe we already have something named Zootopia over here, who knows?




If any one has any more information about this, I would love to hear from you in the comments. Or if you simply want to share your thoughts go ahead, perhaps you guys like the unique title?

- mercedeslois